1.23.2009

About Me...


Hello! For those of you who don't know me, my name is Kristin Thompson. I am 20 years old and I reside in Old Bridge, NJ. Currently, I am a Junior at SPC where I am a resident student and pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education and English Literature. I love being a student at SPC and I am really enjoying my time here. I am glad that I made the choice to experience my college career here. Other than keeping up with my studies, I am the Captain of the Women's Bowling team here at Saint Peter's. I really love bowling and have been competing since I was 5 years old. I am lucky to have the opportunity to bowl on the college level, especially on a team that is ranked within the top 20 teams in the United States.

I have mixed feeling about assessment. Personally, I have never been a student who tests well. I could really relate to the video about the fears of assessment. I feel that tests should not only evaluate what a student has learned but what a student can do. Paper and pencil tests can be very nerve racking for some children, especially on the Elementary School level. Tests should be thorough in rating a child's progress specific subjects in more ways than just on paper. Hands on testing may be a more effective way to rate a student. Giving children opportunities to show their progress in the real world will help them develop confidence in places besides the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Kristin,

    You claimed, "I feel that tests should not only evaluate what a student has learned but what a student can do."

    That is EXACTLY what we want. You must have objectives and try to assess them.

    Great posting, Kristin.

    Nice to "chat" with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both you and Dr. Luongo. I myself has never been a student who tests well either. I believe that there should be some tests to make sure students are progressing the way they should be, but as Dr. Finetti would say, I don't believe teachers should "teach to the test."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin I get what you're saying I was also that student who didn't test good as well. I agree that the traditional tests are not the only way educators should assess their students. Allowing students to show their progress in different ways will show us as educators where a particular student shines and where the student is struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes this is true. Teachers put a lot of emphasis on testing, I think if you go about it differently your students will have a different outlook on approaching tests. I can relate with you on this one!

    ReplyDelete