2.12.2009

Fairness in Assessment & Learning Targets.


After reading Chapter 2 I have discovered the importance of validity and reliability in the classroom. Assessment should be fair to all students in a classroom. Tests should not discriminate against any races, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, disabilities, etc. I feel a great way to avoid unfair testing is a grading rubric. When a teacher gives his or her class grading rubric prior to the test, the class will know what the expectations of the test will be. This way nothing will come as a surprise.

The textbook defines learning targets as an idea that specifies what a teacher would like students to achieve when they have completed an instructional segment. Learning targets should be used in all subjects on all grade levels. It is important for teachers to have a clear idea of what their class will get out of each lesson. If a teacher does not know what the class should understand at the end of the lesson, how should the students know?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin!

    I completely agree with you on rubrics being a great way to avoid unfair testing! I never really liked rubrics when I was in high school but now I completely understand why teachers gave us them! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristin!!
    Completely agree on the point you made about rubrics. They are fair whereas just a number grade leaves kind of a cliff hanger for the student. I couldn't relate to rubrics at one point and thought they were useless, but now I know the significance. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see you are all seeing the usefulness of rubrics.

    Plus, the next module will give you practice in creating and explaining rubrics.

    Great posting, Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristin
    I must agree with you and everyone else that rubrics are very useful. Rubrics give teachers and their students a better insight on what went right and what went wrong.

    ReplyDelete